Follow this link to the Elizabeth-Ann charity and follow the one below to my food blog!

http://www.thee-acharity.org.uk/

http:www.calcuttascarlet.blogspot.com/ My Mother's Kitchen, my Father's Garden is the name of the blog (and, in two volumes, my books). At this blog you may also see a small selection of my freelance journalism work.

Tuesday 18 May 2010

The first post

A DAILY WRITING PROJECT FOR THE ELIZABETH ANN CHARITY

I saw it from the open door of a train. We were rushing through the last swathes of the countryside before slowing down for the slow approach into Calcutta. I could see pools in villages, women washing, buffaloes at work in the fields, everything deep green, wet and lucent. And above it all, a double rainbow over Bengal. It's just a memory I have of feeling perfectly still and happy. And I wanted to think of it now before I start this project. I hope you enjoy your daily read -- do read every day, if you can-- and now you know why I chose this title. It's also, actually, the title of a book of children's stories I've been working on for, oh, a while now.

But we are heading South, now. Michael's and Julie's projects are in Southern India, a long way down from the flat plains of West Bengal. A place where you might wear frangipani flowers in your hair.

Anna xxx

No comments: