Follow this link to the Elizabeth-Ann charity and follow the one below to my food blog!

http://www.thee-acharity.org.uk/

http:www.calcuttascarlet.blogspot.com/ My Mother's Kitchen, my Father's Garden is the name of the blog (and, in two volumes, my books). At this blog you may also see a small selection of my freelance journalism work.

Friday 18 June 2010

Elijah; Isaac.

  
Inspired by T.S. Eliot's 'Marina' and Shakespeare's Pericles.

                                            "I am wild in my beholding."

Pericles, Prince of Tyre, scene 22 line 208. (The text is reconstructed and is unique in Shakespeare's plays in being laid out only in scenes not in acts and scenes.)

What lost worlds, what grey days, what sea water lapping at my toes, wishing to be warm? What calling - through what I do not know, cannot see, will never see and will always ache to know? The call of my child: urgent, hungry and entirely self centred, though learning to look outward.

What voice I thought I always knew, what granite words to say you would not come. But here you are. Calling to me, insistent and growing.

My sons.


Oh yes: I write in very different styles. If you want to see the stimulation for this little piece, just google T.S. Eliot now and find 'Marina.' She is the daughter of Pericles .Eliot's poem is set at the point, near the end of the play for Shakespeare, where Pericles is reconciled to his child, thought lost. At sea. See the significance of the name?

No comments: