Follow this link to the Elizabeth-Ann charity and follow the one below to my food blog!

http://www.thee-acharity.org.uk/

http:www.calcuttascarlet.blogspot.com/ My Mother's Kitchen, my Father's Garden is the name of the blog (and, in two volumes, my books). At this blog you may also see a small selection of my freelance journalism work.

Wednesday 14 July 2010

50 words for yesterday and 50 words for today!

Oh dear oh dear: been a bit poorly. This is to make up for the dearth of story yesterday.I bring you 100 words!


The thread that ran through a life


"That's Joe Biles: a good one. Fast. I'll have to remember that one. Watched the team first in 1950, down the front of the ground. Got there early with my dad. Oh Harry Cairns: he was good, too, but he was lazy."

Fine memories were triggered by those grainy images and, just for a while, the remarkable power of memory made John hold his head up and his daughter smile with relief. John leafed through the album and was back when the faces were young, enjoying a joke with the man on tickets and sitting on his old man's shoulder.

This story was occasioned by an article I read in The Guardian back in June. Its title was The Memorable Game and its subtitle Football can stimulate the recollections of some people who have dementia, a project has found. I found the article thought provoking, affecting and encouraging. Yes, there's a glum beyond words (I'm quoting W.H. Auden here), but if you look at http://www.alzscot.org/ and read through the tartan army sections you'll see what this charity is doing and how it's using football and years of being a fan to do it. I thought it was just brilliant. There is some hope that this project will be unrolled further.I hope that Bath City F.C. will get involved! (Note to husband.)

No comments: